Thursday, January 26, 2012

Prints charming: Cherries!

I heart cherry print. But I'm in good company!

I have this fun and vibrant cherry-print halter dress from Modcloth, though of course, a month later, I realized I could have gotten it for several dollars cheaper right at the source...the delightful Heartbreaker Fashion. If you have secret or not-so-secret inclinations towards curve-friendly 50's fashion, this is a great source for cute printed dresses. (I love that they have a selection of a relatively few classic shapes, like the super-flattering Beverly and Monique and the va-va-VOOM Vanessa, which you can buy in a range of fabrics & prints. Almost like you can have your dress custom-made!) They now have halter dresses in two other kinds of cherry print as well--this sensational black-and-cherry version (who is not curious about a print that's called Black Badabing Cherry?) and this Cerise version which is a little more toned-down than the red-and-pink one I sport in the summer.

Of course, not everyone likes what could be called a bright red and bright green fruit print with vaguely sexual connotations. (I prefer to think of it as vibrant and flirty/retro-sweet.) But there are so many ways to wear cherry print! Almost as versatile as florals.

The grey mutes the print nicely, and twofer dresses like this do miraculous things for my pearish figure. In fact, I'd venture to say that this super-slender model, as lovely as she is, doesn't really do it justice. As it is, it's just kind of THERE, just hanging out, and I probably wouldn't have even clicked on it had I not been searching for cherry prints, but can't you imagine it looking so much more, well, DAZZLING, on someone who can really fill it out and bring that dress to life?

I would have NEVER imagined that I would like anything sold by Juicy Couture, possibly because I was under the mistaken impression that they only sold heavily branded jewelry and sweatsuits. I had not realized that they were capable of producing anything as charming as this. Maybe the oversize cherries are a bit over the top, but somehow the coloring is so delicate that I think it might work. Plus, it's refreshing to see a dress with long-ish sleeves (3/4 is better than 0), and the ruching and waist panel are probably very subtly flattering. And that little buttoned keyhole is pretty much the only kind of back cut-out that I actually like.

As you may have guessed, I'm not the biggest fan of cut-outs, especially THERE, where it seems perfectly placed for your bra to play peek-a-boo (though, looking at the back, perhaps you're not supposed to wear a bra). But the not-so-literal cherry print is so do-able! Blue, faintly abstract cherries are so fresh and unexpected, and you don't have to worry about the risk of looking potentially TOO sweet/loud/over-the-top retro. And those stripes around the hem add just the right touch. If only the back was, more, well, existent. In theory, I think the partially-opened back is surprisingly cute and flirty on this dress (there's a button closure at the neck), but in reality, I like to wear bras. It must be said, though, the price is definitely not bad for Nanette Lepore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...