Friday, May 18, 2012

Huh.


I was poking around in K&G today, came across this pair of printed sandals, and inexplicably, I wanted all marked-down-to-$19-of-them. I think this example highlights my main shopping problem: overpowering impulse. Logically, I knew that these were no bargain, even at $19. The pattern is a bit tacky (I have one friend in particular who would stick up her tasteful nose at these and pronounce them "Miami"...whatever that means, it's more the tone in which she says it), this particular style of sandal is one of the least flattering on my Donald Duck-shaped feet, and they were ever so slightly wobbly...oh, and I couldn't think of one dress I owned that would go with this.

Honestly, this could have more to say about my lack of fashion creativity than about the versatility of these shoes, but I couldn't think of many outfits I would comfortably* pair these with:
  1. Jeans + a solid top. And I wear nothing but skirts and dresses in the spring & summer, so that's out.
  2. A pretty white dress. Which I don't own. (Plus, I am at the life stage when nine of every ten fancy-sandal-shod events I attend are weddings, so that would be a problem. Incidentally, I never dare wear anything lighter than chartreuse to weddings. Someone I know once showed me her wedding pictures and I commented admiringly on the fact that her bridesmaids were wearing white, what a fresh and unexpected idea!--this was pre-Pippa-Middleton--and the bride gnashed her teeth because I was only the twentieth person who had remarked on that and ACTUALLY, the dresses had been pink, but just read as white in most of the photos. This plus some reviews on a gorgeous Modcloth dress, complaining that it was all beauty and joy in daylight, but in photographs read as lingerie because of the way the lining reflected the flash? Has now made me paranoid about how heretofore benign-seeming clothes look in photographs.) <--So bothersome when my parenthetical asides dwarf the original thought.
  3. Maybe a simple beige or gray dress, in something silky/drapy? But would that be too boring with shoes this flowery?
  4. ...I'm out. Seriously. At a loss.
Anyway, I finally put them back. Developing self-control, one pair of shoes at a time.

*Admittedly, my clothing comfort zone is a narrow one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...